Working the negative space is a natural move if you are an
artist that enjoys landscapes during the winter. The blank spaces left from fallen leaves,
between branches and stems leave a poetic opening of artistic opportunity. At the same time negative spaces, like winter’s
effect on the landscape, give us a chance to imagine what was there and what is
to come. We can either complain or be disappointed over what is seemingly not
there or delve further into these seemingly blank spaces and delight in the
shapes, geometric interplays and markmaking possibilities with which we are
faced. This drawing taken from my sketchbook
is a still life of a vase filled with variety of blooming Dutch bulbs, most
prominently tulips. Absence of the usual
intense colors of tulips is filled with enticingly rich graphite, creating its
own conversation in shadow, shape and depth. The stark winter landscape which
many of us will be facing for many months to come, invites us to step into the
domain on the spirit, as the branches and the negative spaces around them,
weave intricate patterns from plays of light and shadow guiding our thoughts
and visions towards the unknown. Absence
of color is like a conversational pause and it can be just as powerful at
punctuating numerous formal and expressive elements of a drawing.
While teaching painting and drawing at the School of the Art Institute, I was always drawn to the Codex Borgia . Sadly, seldom did I actually find ways of incorporating that gorgeous, ancient, illustrated manuscript into my lesson plans. I would just go through the book of images and savor them on my own. Now I understand why it was calling out to me. It is the tool of healers, diviners and scribes--it contains prophesies. It is going to take a while, still, but some day I will understand the lessons it seeks to teach me. Now in "Mama Nature's Spiritual Guide to Weight-loss" as I write, I am finding my book is being fleshed out by Aztec and Mayan deities. They just showed up and wanted in. I find myself questioning their appearance and loving it all at the same time. Pictured above is Aztec Goddess, Xochiquetzal, pronounced Sho-chi-ket-sal. Her name is in the language Nahuatl. The first part Xochitl (flower or to flower) and the second Quetzal (bird of splendid fe...

Comments
Post a Comment
Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.