Skip to main content

Finding that Sweet Spot

One of the most invigorating and strengthening things for a writer is inspiration. I believe inspiration comes from the muses and enjoy actually writing about them in character form as well. They make a cameo in my work-in-progress, "Out of the Blue," a novel. I've had fun researching everything I could about the muses, as they are so essential to my writing practice. Anyway, when you are inspired as a writer, it is hard to feel insecure because you are in your zone--you own your sweet spot, and there words flow. In your sweet spot you are secure.

When thinking about blogging this morning, knowing it is the first Wednesday of the month, the designated day of the month that we bloggers involved with the Insecure Writer's Support Group, post, an old soul song with just a hint of gospel, came to mind. I'm leaving you with it this morning, as inspiration for your writing practice today. When the Inspirations lyrics refer to "her" I would envision your writing muse.

Enjoy!










© 1996-2008 The Museum Of Jurassic Technology, 9341 Venice Boulevard, Culver City, CA 90232







Comments

  1. Any time I think of the Muses I think of the movie "Xanadu" from 1980. Have you ever seen it? It's quite long, but I still love it.

    Thanks for posting for IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy IWSG Charity. To both you and Alex, I must revisit Xanadu. You've both made me curious.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of muses. My muse is named Ena. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I like that name. Very evocative. I need to name mine too.

      Delete
  3. I wish I could get into that sweet spot. I haven't been inspired in a while. Nice song though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll come Madilyn probably when you least expect.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Charity! I think of Xanadu as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when I find that sweet spot, but usually it takes plugging through the ho-hums about my writing and often being patient for the inspiration to come.
    How cool that your muse has a cameo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it takes time. Well worth it though.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Jenni about plugging away then enjoying the sweet spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such magic when we arrive in that sweet spot. And what a great song to invoke the muses - this is definitely going on my play muse-invitation play list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This song is going on my inspiration list too! I've been working a lot with Muses and the Fates in my meditation practices and writing so I felt a particular kin to this post. I'm absolutely fascinated with muses! I think this is a perfect post for me to also tell you how much I've been inspired by your writing and your blog--you, Stephanie, are one of my muses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renata, this is the nicest thing ever. Thanks so much. I'm deeply touched!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Goddess and Prince of Flowers

While teaching painting and drawing at the School of the Art Institute, I was always drawn to the  Codex Borgia . Sadly, seldom did I actually find ways of incorporating that gorgeous, ancient, illustrated manuscript into my lesson plans. I would just go through the book of images and savor them on my own. Now I understand why it was calling out to me. It is the tool of healers, diviners and scribes--it contains prophesies. It is going to take a while, still, but some day I will understand the lessons it seeks to teach me. Now in "Mama Nature's Spiritual Guide to Weight-loss" as I write, I am finding my book is being fleshed out by Aztec and Mayan deities. They just showed up and wanted in. I find myself questioning their appearance and loving it all at the same time. Pictured above is Aztec Goddess, Xochiquetzal, pronounced Sho-chi-ket-sal. Her name is in the language Nahuatl. The first part Xochitl (flower or to flower) and the second Quetzal (bird of splendid fe...

Dancing

D is for Dancing Zulu Dancer So, what can you do for free, that lifts your mood by elevating endorphin levels that also helps your fitness level? Dance! As a girl, I was blessed with a unique opportunity. My mother had danced in her youth and wanted to share that experience with me. Through her encouragement, I grew to love my dance lessons and ended up studying dance about 4 nights a week and then performing on the weekends. One of my favorite activities was dancing outside. I enjoyed practicing my turns outdoors (poor grass!). So, I’d put our large speakers outside the door and then turn and turn, and turn some more, using the trees across the lake as a spotting tool. In case you’re unfamiliar spotting is a place you focus your eyes so that you don’t become dizzy. Now, some of you reading this will think this sounds crazy. Others are living in a place wherein doing something like this is not possible. I’m not suggesting you twirl outside, but hey, if you can, g...

Xochitl--Flower

                                     (Winter Poinsettia by Stephanie Rose Bird, oil on wood) One of my Facebook friends does daily posts and shares called "I love Flowers." I love flowers too, in real life, in my garden, in paintings and as they are related to the gods and goddesses, in healing, as well as their use in folklore like Hoodoo. Not long ago I posted about Xochipelli (Sho-CHEE-pee-lee) prince of flowers and Xochiquetzal (Sho-CHEE-ket-zul) goddess of flowers in anticipation of April's blooming season.  The Goddess and Prince of Flowers post  is here. Today, I want to focus in on the root word of their names and it's symbolism. This word is Xochitl (Show-CHEE-tul) in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs. This word means flower.                                         ...