Skip to main content

Finding Peace in OM

I first shared a rendition of this post last year during A to Z on this same day. During the 2014 I didn't have a theme. This year my theme is exclamation points, including words I'm very excited about. I'm presenting this word/sound again because OM is the "O" word I'm most excited about, hence this revision, clarifying and deepening my thoughts. It is the best word I have to offer beginning with O because it popped into my mind this morning and wouldn't leave. It is important and significant for its transformative potential. OM is everything and nothing at once.

Back in high school we had a funky Spanish teacher who always had all sorts of animal hairs stuck in her clothing. She was an older woman, compared to the other teachers. I remember her because she was different and had many surprises up her sleeve.

You could not judge her by outer appearances though the visual clues keyed you into her way of being in the world. I didn't study Spanish with her but she was intriguing and also had a wonderful after school club. It was Yoga Club. It was all the way back then, that I was first exposed to what our teacher described as the sound of the universe, OM. She said, if you could compress every sound in the universe into one the sound would be OM.



Now, when I chant OM with the group of local yogis during restorative practice, a sense of community washes over me. The feeling fills and comforts my soul. OM is relaxing. It takes my mind away from being busy. In that moment of chanting the mantra, the only thing of importance is the beautiful sound escaping my mouth and mingling with the sound of others. That is why I say it can be a meaningful communal practice. It connects like no other sound, letting us vibrate; secure with our place in the universe. Moreover, this morning OM has permeated my mind.




Chanting OM alone without any other words, sounds or even trying to invoke deity, is peaceful. It leads you to a quiet moment of clarity. It is nothingness and everything, together in one precious act.



Learning about OM from my first yoga teacher, retaining that knowledge over the years and putting it into spiritual practice, has been a lesson that continues to resonate. OM, the sound connected to spiritual practice, radiates throughout, many aspects of a fulfilled life.  



                               Universe Mandala, acrylic on board by Stephanie Rose Bird


Notes on my Theme:

This post is written for the 2015 A to Z Challenge. During this challenge, participating bloggers post once a day, in alphabetical order. This is done 6 days per week. Sundays are off. My theme presents words that are exciting. These words serve as thematic motifs in my writing. My theme also revolves around exclamation points. The words I've chosen to explore can replace or stand alone from the dreaded exclamation point, which writers are urged to avoid.

Comments

  1. I don't do yoga, but when I've meditated the sound of OM is very relaxing. I remember reading about OM in the book "Siddhartha" many years ago, and how it's the sound of the universe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am familiar with that book as well. I agree, it is a relaxing and also a beautiful sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have long wanted to learn yoga. I tried a few teachers and failed. I hope to find someone who inspires and guides me along this journey soon

    April A to Z challenge blogger - http://www.ourowncorner.com/poohsden/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinitha, thanks for stopping by. I enjoy your blog! Try one of the Gaiam videos. They are a good way to get started. Wishing you the best with finding the joy in yoga.

      Delete
  4. I could hear the passion in your words as I was reading this. If I am ever meditating - a rare occurrence, admittedly - I am more likely to make a sighing sound. It just feels right.

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sigh during yoga too! OM is something usually done in meditation practice and its wonderful too.

      Delete
  5. My daughter keep s telling me I should meditate, as does a poet friend on my writers' forum. From reading this you obviously agree with them Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Try it. What is there to lose? You're welcome. I enjoy my visits to your blog.

      Delete
  6. I think your series topic is delightful Stephanie, and I'm in love with OM as well. My first introduction, too, was as a high schooler, but for me it was through a meditation group. The first time I participated in a group chanting of it is an experience I remember with great clarity all these years later. Love your Universe Mandala.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so relaxing to meditate and find that zen state. I love the pictures you have shown here-they are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit. We get so wrapped up in chaos its hard sometimes to just let it all go. Meditation is a powerful tool.

      Delete
  8. Thank you Stephanie ... beautiful post and photographs. Thank you for reminding us of the power of Om - the compression of every sound, the sound of the universe ... I remember in my late mother's yoga class that we would do this at the end of the hatha yoga session ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky you are to have those memories with your mother. Hatha Yoga is the best. You're welcome and thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Just this morning I was listening to "Om shanti"....over & over again, it gives my morning commute a spiritual lift as I start my day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Follow Fest Interview and Sharing

When I first became a blogger it was difficult to know if I had readers and visitors coming to my blog. I’d post and be met by the sounds of crickets. Then, I branched out into the world of the blogosphere, a world I  didn't  know really existed. From my ventures, I met a lot of interesting bloggers.  I've  started following and commenting on numerous blogs, for you see, prior to my outings, I too was out among the crickets. Lurking about but seldom saying anything. A fellow blogger  I've  met through my journeys around the blogosphere is Melissa Maygrove . She had the brilliant idea to have a Follow Fest , where we share about who we are, what we do and most importantly, how you can connect with us further. It is my intention through joining Follow Fest, that I’ll connect with many more readers and people interested enough in what I do to want to learn more by following. So, here goes my entry for the fest. Name:   Stephanie Rose Bird Fiction or

Gran Bwa

Gran Bwa is a lwa that helps you connect to ancestral roots or the spiritual home of Vodou. A friend of mine, who is an expert on Haitian Vodou, who has spent a lot of time in Haiti with the artists there, told me I had painted Gran Bwa when I made this spontaneous work out of walnut ink and sumi-ink on handmade paper. I had considered this painting a self-portrait. She now holds this piece in her private collection: Quite a few people are afraid of Vodou but it is an awe-inspiring tradition of bringing together plant energy with divinity, spiritual and personal energy. My friend who is very involved with Vodou, especially the art that surrounds it, is from European ancestry. She is light in spirit and bubbly, with a close relationship to nature and her garden.  Vodou affirms the relationships between cycles of life, trees of knowledge and spirit.  The Vodou vision of lwa , understands them as the intelligence of energy present in humans, nature and thoughts.  Mysteries ca

Xochitl--Flower

                                     (Winter Poinsettia by Stephanie Rose Bird, oil on wood) One of my Facebook friends does daily posts and shares called "I love Flowers." I love flowers too, in real life, in my garden, in paintings and as they are related to the gods and goddesses, in healing, as well as their use in folklore like Hoodoo. Not long ago I posted about Xochipelli (Sho-CHEE-pee-lee) prince of flowers and Xochiquetzal (Sho-CHEE-ket-zul) goddess of flowers in anticipation of April's blooming season.  The Goddess and Prince of Flowers post  is here. Today, I want to focus in on the root word of their names and it's symbolism. This word is Xochitl (Show-CHEE-tul) in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs. This word means flower.                                            ( Frida Kahlo "Self Portrait Dedicated to Dr. Eloesser) In many different belief systems there are nature gods and goddesses connected with flowers. Flowers possess symbolism,