Skip to main content

Gran Bwa

Gran Bwa is a lwa that helps you connect to ancestral roots or the spiritual home of Vodou. A friend of mine, who is an expert on Haitian Vodou, who has spent a lot of time in Haiti with the artists there, told me I had painted Gran Bwa when I made this spontaneous work out of walnut ink and sumi-ink on handmade paper. I had considered this painting a self-portrait. She now holds this piece in her private collection:


Quite a few people are afraid of Vodou but it is an awe-inspiring tradition of bringing together plant energy with divinity, spiritual and personal energy. My friend who is very involved with Vodou, especially the art that surrounds it, is from European ancestry. She is light in spirit and bubbly, with a close relationship to nature and her garden.  Vodou affirms the relationships between cycles of life, trees of knowledge and spirit.  The Vodou vision of lwa, understands them as the intelligence of energy present in humans, nature and thoughts. 
Mysteries can be understood through spirits like Gran Bwa, known in this religion as lwaLwa are intermediaries between Bondye, a very remote, omnipotent God, and humans.  The lwa were once mortals, and share some human characteristics, for better or worse, including strength, vision, ego, capriciousness and fickle emotions; they can be demanding, and sometimes tricky. 

      Offerings of basins of water, leaves, roots, branches or flowers are welcomed by Gran Bwa.  A drawing of trees, the forest or a study of a branch, as well as, exploring the “tree of life” motif is a good conduit to Gran Bwa.  A tree sapling can be planted on Gran Bwa’s behalf when it is the right time of the year for where you live.  Gran Bwa energy exists at each magical point of every tree. This is a very important lwa to the magickal herbalist. 


A to Z April Blogger's Challenge--G is for Gran Bwa

Comments

  1. Gran Bois is a very important loa for my spiritual house. As a Voodoo priestess here in Brooklyn, he holds a special connection to Prospect Park, and is invoked and honored to welcome joy and happiness into our lives. I love this rendition :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilith, yes I have heard that about the park. I am so honored that you like my painting. As of late, your path is calling to me, more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that painting! You did an amazing job. You're friend is lucky to have that hanging in her house. Thank you for telling us about the art of Vodou and Gran Bwa. Your posts are always fascinating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Chrys. I enjoy your posts as well. They are very useful and already I have employed some of your suggestions, from your horror post, in my novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I accidentally read a great deal about root work and root doctors in the Southeastern United States. As a kid, I was cautioned to stay away from root doctors. I realize now that many people believed in their power. There is voodoo and hoodoo. Hoodoo is about power and to me it is fearsome. Voodoo is a religious practice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Goddess and Prince of Flowers

While teaching painting and drawing at the School of the Art Institute, I was always drawn to the  Codex Borgia . Sadly, seldom did I actually find ways of incorporating that gorgeous, ancient, illustrated manuscript into my lesson plans. I would just go through the book of images and savor them on my own. Now I understand why it was calling out to me. It is the tool of healers, diviners and scribes--it contains prophesies. It is going to take a while, still, but some day I will understand the lessons it seeks to teach me. Now in "Mama Nature's Spiritual Guide to Weight-loss" as I write, I am finding my book is being fleshed out by Aztec and Mayan deities. They just showed up and wanted in. I find myself questioning their appearance and loving it all at the same time. Pictured above is Aztec Goddess, Xochiquetzal, pronounced Sho-chi-ket-sal. Her name is in the language Nahuatl. The first part Xochitl (flower or to flower) and the second Quetzal (bird of splendid fe...

Dancing

D is for Dancing Zulu Dancer So, what can you do for free, that lifts your mood by elevating endorphin levels that also helps your fitness level? Dance! As a girl, I was blessed with a unique opportunity. My mother had danced in her youth and wanted to share that experience with me. Through her encouragement, I grew to love my dance lessons and ended up studying dance about 4 nights a week and then performing on the weekends. One of my favorite activities was dancing outside. I enjoyed practicing my turns outdoors (poor grass!). So, I’d put our large speakers outside the door and then turn and turn, and turn some more, using the trees across the lake as a spotting tool. In case you’re unfamiliar spotting is a place you focus your eyes so that you don’t become dizzy. Now, some of you reading this will think this sounds crazy. Others are living in a place wherein doing something like this is not possible. I’m not suggesting you twirl outside, but hey, if you can, g...

Xochitl--Flower

                                     (Winter Poinsettia by Stephanie Rose Bird, oil on wood) One of my Facebook friends does daily posts and shares called "I love Flowers." I love flowers too, in real life, in my garden, in paintings and as they are related to the gods and goddesses, in healing, as well as their use in folklore like Hoodoo. Not long ago I posted about Xochipelli (Sho-CHEE-pee-lee) prince of flowers and Xochiquetzal (Sho-CHEE-ket-zul) goddess of flowers in anticipation of April's blooming season.  The Goddess and Prince of Flowers post  is here. Today, I want to focus in on the root word of their names and it's symbolism. This word is Xochitl (Show-CHEE-tul) in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs. This word means flower.                                         ...