Skip to main content

Tale of the Easter Bunny

I wrote this a few years back and wanted to share it here today, on this very special day of Spring Equinox and Ostara.


Tale of the Easter Bunny

 “Mama, how does the Easter Bunny lay eggs and then bring them to all of our houses?” I asked circa late 1960’s early 1970’s. "I don’t know Sweetie … he just does,” was the tentative and unsatisfying reply.
Somewhere along the way between Walgreens, Walmart, and Super Target, we forgot. We had an event called Massive Cultural Amnesia or MCA for short. Hey, sounds catchy. Maybe I can get a spot on the Today Show. Maybe not … okay, back to the story.
"Once upon a time, long, long ago in a distant land called Europe, there were witches. Witches were not all ugly and green and covered with warts, smashed against a tree, as we see them today at All Hallow’s Eve or Halloween as some like to call it. Those early witches blended in with townsfolk. There were pretty ones—still maidens; fat ones in their motherhood stage; bossy, strange, smart, and ugly and yes, even gifted witches called Crones, my dear."

 “Gifted at what Mama?” 
“All sorts of things,” she said in her understated way. “Shape-shifting for one thing,” said Mama in my candlelit room. 
"Now these days, just like those “stupid” smashed-up witches we see who ride their brooms straight into a tree at Hallow’s Eve, we also see witch with one animal. Witch with cat; cat with witch; black most likely," she said with a touch of sadness.
“Why is that Mama?” I asked. “Easier to sell my dear; easier to sell,” was the simple reply.
"But, once upon a time, long, long ago, just like there were all different kinds of witches, the witch also had different animals by her side." 

“Did she have all kinds of animals, Mama?” 
"Yes, dear … all kinds."



"She did have a favorite though and it was sometimes a rabbit and sometimes a hare. Hares and rabbits were closest to witches and they had the same types of magical powers. Hares could fly; they could be tiny or huge; they could shape-shift from human to different animals—they could do all sorts of magical things, like lay beautiful pastel colored and complex patterned eggs."




"With time, that MCA helped the men and women, boys and girls forget many, many things. One was that Easter used to be spelled Eostre and it honored the fair goddess from far, far away. Ostara was the goddess of the Teutonic people from up north. Teutonic people loved the advent of spring, something called Vernal Equinox."

"This Ostara would show up mysteriously, arising from the blustery winds of March to usher in spring. She had bunnies—her power animals—at her feet because they symbolize fertility, life cycles and renewal. Bunnies help keep life going."

"As large as her, at her side was her royal consort. He was a gigantic Hare. He could do many magical things as is typical of his kind, including laying the most beautiful eggs in the world and bringing sweets to good children in all the villages for Ostara’s day. He came to be known as the Easter Bunny. But with MCA clouding up the minds of the people the fair spring goddess Ostara was forgotten. Through it all, they remember her special day and the magical hare. They clung on to a memory of a day now called Easter."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Challenge: A Month of African Proverbs

I'm all in, once again.  This is my third year of participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. This will be an intense spurt of reading and writing for me, as I'm also editing one book and writing another. I will do my best to stay in, and keep up!

For the month of April (2017) I will be blogging and visiting other blogs. This is a fun and meaningful practice that I've taken on to increase conversations with other readers and bloggers. I am always happy to see newcomers and, whether you comment or not, you are welcome.





A Month of African Proverbs
My 2017 theme is drawn from my soon-to-be released book "Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss." I have a section of my book that contains African Proverbs. I will be spending time on each of those proverbs, exploring their meaning and inspiration regarding losing weight or otherwise transforming yourself.

Here is the definition of the word proverb: (from Latin: proverbium) is a simple and concrete saying…

Live it Like Lucy

So you made a mistake? Now what? Cover it up, fix it or apologize? How about…gasp, accessing the damage, learning what you can and then, moving forward?
I don’t know where you stand with your Judge but mine is ruthless. She looks down her nose at me constantly, worse of all, my Judge is within me, always ready to chirp in, whether I request it or not. I say, as I look forward to this New Year: Judge, you are dismissed! Get lost. Piss off.
I have made a mistake. Is it monumental? No. Will it hurt people? Yes. Most importantly, is it fixable? Yes!
No one likes making mistakes, but they happen. I love the “I Love Lucy Show” (the original, in black and white) because Lucille Ball’s outrageously humorous touch invites us to see mistakes in a funny way. We laugh with her not at her, as she falls into one unexpected dilemma after another. Instead of saying to ourselves: this is terrible; we ‘feel’ in our gut: this is funny!
What if our lives could be the same way? I know it would seem pecul…

2017 Presents a Fresh Start

Oh boy! It's been a while since I've been in this space. Apologies! There are so many things I have to do, want to do, need to do; sometimes blogging has to wait. Other times, like this morning, it calls to me. This morning it said: hey girlfriend, it's blogging time.

I get weird about New Year's. Some years I want to deny it; power through; act like somehow, it didn't happen. This year I am welcoming 2017 by doing my creative rituals, such as writing out intentions, otherwise known as resolutions, and creating a dream board (still in-process).

You've seen me write a lot about the Law of Attraction, and how the Universe is active in our every day lives, listening for our directives. I've seldom seen the Law of Attraction come to life so brilliantly as when I create and post a dream board somewhere in my home. Amazing! Have you created one? What has come from it?

In some ways I think 2016 was a terrible year. I was stuck, looking, waiting, wanting, but...not…