Skip to main content

Tree Whispers




Tree Whispers

Shinrin-yoku is a complementary medicine modality, designed to up-lift sub-par health conditions, through lifestyle changes that involve immersion in nature, specifically the wildness, we call a forest, where the senses, including our intuitive sense and ability to heal ourselves through it, is ignited.

Forest bathing, as Shinrin-yoku is popularly called, has come to our attention, at a time when the scientific community is abuzz about the ability of trees - be it in stands, groves, or forests, to build community. This, at a time, when we as humans, struggle hard to build and sustain healthy in-person communities, in the face of Online communications.

Books like “The Hidden Life of Trees: What they Feel, How they Communicate Discoveries from a Secret World,” (Wohlleben 2016) by Peter Wohlleben is a Wall Street Journal, New York Times and Washington Post bestseller. It makes readers privy to trees’ communication skills and social networks, that is, it helps us entertain the idea. The Wall Street Journal refers to the author as “A veritable tree whisperer.” 

People toss the whisperer title around, there are dog whisperers, ghost whisperers and horse whisperers, among others, but I couldn’t help but think about the historical African American tree whisperers, which I wrote about in “Sticks, Stones, Roots and Bones,” and other works, upon reading that quote.

In my neighborhood, as in most, there are specimen trees. True, they find ways of coming together in stunning visual and spiritual ways. Yesterday, I took a long overdue trip to the forest, along with my son-in-law and my dog. I don’t know how my companions were feeling exactly but empathically I sensed a great deal of curiosity and a warm heart towards the experience from the two. I felt like a little child again. It was magical to enter the sacred space forest and woods create. Though it is a lowland forest, the trees towered above us and in the better locations it made for a mystical, cathedral-like atmosphere. We chatted. My dog roamed and the trees whispered.

There were many trees that had fallen and others that were quite old, who had been cut down. Those areas were like a funeral pallor; sad and mournful. The feeling was inexplicable but omnipresent. After a while, the feelings eased because I sensed a surrender. The living trees accepted what must be.

As we walked deeper, the earth got muddier. There was a feeling that we would be submerged, with each step we seemed to sink in further. We wondered aloud, how deep into the earth we might go and there was no way around it. We looked back from whence we came. We were too far in turn around. Like the trees, we too must surrender to the happening around us, and continue.

Then I was struck by a call from a fat and juicy tree. It was holding a story. It said, “Put your spine on me. Absorb my messages.” I promptly did so. Then it said, “Turn around and give me a full hug.” I did that too.

I saw veins in my mind’s eye. Hmmm. What the heck? As we rode towards my home, I began to unpack the whisper. Veins speak about connection, interconnectivity and working together. As I went from deep inside my head, I looked up as we came to a stop light. In front of us was a big black Sequoia. My son-in-law and I laughed. “I want to go to the Redwood Forest,” he said. Not sure how or when, “It’ll happen. That was a very clear sign.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Follow Fest Interview and Sharing

When I first became a blogger it was difficult to know if I had readers and visitors coming to my blog. I’d post and be met by the sounds of crickets. Then, I branched out into the world of the blogosphere, a world I  didn't  know really existed. From my ventures, I met a lot of interesting bloggers.  I've  started following and commenting on numerous blogs, for you see, prior to my outings, I too was out among the crickets. Lurking about but seldom saying anything. A fellow blogger  I've  met through my journeys around the blogosphere is Melissa Maygrove . She had the brilliant idea to have a Follow Fest , where we share about who we are, what we do and most importantly, how you can connect with us further. It is my intention through joining Follow Fest, that I’ll connect with many more readers and people interested enough in what I do to want to learn more by following. So, here goes my entry for the fest. Name:   Stephanie Rose Bird Fiction or

Gran Bwa

Gran Bwa is a lwa that helps you connect to ancestral roots or the spiritual home of Vodou. A friend of mine, who is an expert on Haitian Vodou, who has spent a lot of time in Haiti with the artists there, told me I had painted Gran Bwa when I made this spontaneous work out of walnut ink and sumi-ink on handmade paper. I had considered this painting a self-portrait. She now holds this piece in her private collection: Quite a few people are afraid of Vodou but it is an awe-inspiring tradition of bringing together plant energy with divinity, spiritual and personal energy. My friend who is very involved with Vodou, especially the art that surrounds it, is from European ancestry. She is light in spirit and bubbly, with a close relationship to nature and her garden.  Vodou affirms the relationships between cycles of life, trees of knowledge and spirit.  The Vodou vision of lwa , understands them as the intelligence of energy present in humans, nature and thoughts.  Mysteries ca

Xochitl--Flower

                                     (Winter Poinsettia by Stephanie Rose Bird, oil on wood) One of my Facebook friends does daily posts and shares called "I love Flowers." I love flowers too, in real life, in my garden, in paintings and as they are related to the gods and goddesses, in healing, as well as their use in folklore like Hoodoo. Not long ago I posted about Xochipelli (Sho-CHEE-pee-lee) prince of flowers and Xochiquetzal (Sho-CHEE-ket-zul) goddess of flowers in anticipation of April's blooming season.  The Goddess and Prince of Flowers post  is here. Today, I want to focus in on the root word of their names and it's symbolism. This word is Xochitl (Show-CHEE-tul) in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs. This word means flower.                                            ( Frida Kahlo "Self Portrait Dedicated to Dr. Eloesser) In many different belief systems there are nature gods and goddesses connected with flowers. Flowers possess symbolism,