Skip to main content

Goddess and Prince of Flowers

While teaching painting and drawing at the School of the Art Institute, I was always drawn to the Codex Borgia. Sadly, seldom did I actually find ways of incorporating that gorgeous, ancient, illustrated manuscript into my lesson plans. I would just go through the book of images and savor them on my own.

Now I understand why it was calling out to me. It is the tool of healers, diviners and scribes--it contains prophesies. It is going to take a while, still, but some day I will understand the lessons it seeks to teach me.


Now in "Mama Nature's Spiritual Guide to Weight-loss" as I write, I am finding my book is being fleshed out by Aztec and Mayan deities. They just showed up and wanted in. I find myself questioning their appearance and loving it all at the same time. Pictured above is Aztec Goddess, Xochiquetzal, pronounced Sho-chi-ket-sal. Her name is in the language Nahuatl. The first part Xochitl (flower or to flower) and the second Quetzal (bird of splendid feathers).

As you know, I am Stephanie Bird and I do love my last name, spelled as it is. I also companion birds indoors and feed wild birds outside. I love flowers, the arts, crafts, weaving and sensuality--much like Xochiquetzal. While she travels with a posse of butterflies and birds, she is also a fierce goddess that turned one of her lovers into a scorpion. It is my understanding that she was the first to menstruate, after being bitten on the vagina by a bat. Apparently the bite didn't phase her.


This is her playful twin brother, Flower Prince (quite literally) Xochipilli, pronounced shok-el-Peel-eh. Xochipilli loves all the pleasures in life--art, games, beauty, dancing, flowers and singing. He caters to creativity and soul. This god is a free spirit.

Followers of Xochiquetzal and Xochipilli typically get flower tattoos.

These two have arrived in my life and I will continue to explore our relationship. I admire that Xochiquetzal stayed in full bloom her entire life. She never looked old. She has a tendency, so some say, of leaning towards excess but I wonder if that is a Christian judgement. She believes in sex for pleasure not just to result in pregnancy, an idea seemingly before her time in terms of being accepted practice.

Xochipilli was a bit of a dabbler in the hallucinogenic flowers and he is also considered a god of fertility, farming, beauty, dancing, flowers, singing, art and homosexuals.

Just like with the Codex Borgia, I was a little stumped, as to why these two deities have presented themselves in my life and work. I am coming to understand and enjoy their presence and wisdom.

Comments

  1. Ever since I was a child I've loved learning about gods and goddesses from all cultures, so I found this post beyond fascinating. Thank you so much for sharing this information! I look forward to reading more of your posts. And best of luck to you with "Mama Nature's Spiritual Guide to Weight-loss". I love the concept! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Chrys! I hope to hear from you again, here, over at Shewrites.com or on Good Reads!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Follow Fest Interview and Sharing

When I first became a blogger it was difficult to know if I had readers and visitors coming to my blog. I’d post and be met by the sounds of crickets. Then, I branched out into the world of the blogosphere, a world I  didn't  know really existed. From my ventures, I met a lot of interesting bloggers.  I've  started following and commenting on numerous blogs, for you see, prior to my outings, I too was out among the crickets. Lurking about but seldom saying anything. A fellow blogger  I've  met through my journeys around the blogosphere is Melissa Maygrove . She had the brilliant idea to have a Follow Fest , where we share about who we are, what we do and most importantly, how you can connect with us further. It is my intention through joining Follow Fest, that I’ll connect with many more readers and people interested enough in what I do to want to learn more by following. So, here goes my entry for the fest. Name:   Stephanie Rose Bird Fiction or

Gran Bwa

Gran Bwa is a lwa that helps you connect to ancestral roots or the spiritual home of Vodou. A friend of mine, who is an expert on Haitian Vodou, who has spent a lot of time in Haiti with the artists there, told me I had painted Gran Bwa when I made this spontaneous work out of walnut ink and sumi-ink on handmade paper. I had considered this painting a self-portrait. She now holds this piece in her private collection: Quite a few people are afraid of Vodou but it is an awe-inspiring tradition of bringing together plant energy with divinity, spiritual and personal energy. My friend who is very involved with Vodou, especially the art that surrounds it, is from European ancestry. She is light in spirit and bubbly, with a close relationship to nature and her garden.  Vodou affirms the relationships between cycles of life, trees of knowledge and spirit.  The Vodou vision of lwa , understands them as the intelligence of energy present in humans, nature and thoughts.  Mysteries ca

Xochitl--Flower

                                     (Winter Poinsettia by Stephanie Rose Bird, oil on wood) One of my Facebook friends does daily posts and shares called "I love Flowers." I love flowers too, in real life, in my garden, in paintings and as they are related to the gods and goddesses, in healing, as well as their use in folklore like Hoodoo. Not long ago I posted about Xochipelli (Sho-CHEE-pee-lee) prince of flowers and Xochiquetzal (Sho-CHEE-ket-zul) goddess of flowers in anticipation of April's blooming season.  The Goddess and Prince of Flowers post  is here. Today, I want to focus in on the root word of their names and it's symbolism. This word is Xochitl (Show-CHEE-tul) in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs. This word means flower.                                            ( Frida Kahlo "Self Portrait Dedicated to Dr. Eloesser) In many different belief systems there are nature gods and goddesses connected with flowers. Flowers possess symbolism,