Skip to main content

F is for Feather

F is for Feather

One of the qualities of feathers that’s pretty much universally identifiable is that they are light. It is beautiful and a lovely meditative practice to simply slow down and watch a feather slowly descend, fluttering in the air, reaching the ground in its own time and own, often circuitous way.

From the lightness of feathers, often I think of the unforgettable book, “The Unbearable Lightness of Being” by Milan Kundera. This book was required reading during the early years of college, with many an animated discussion surrounding its reading. What stands out to me and why I want to include it in this discussion about Creative Blocks is that if we can borrow one of its thematic sentiments, that life is indeed to be lived surrounded by lightness, we can break through the block of our creativity.

Blocks are heavy. They are self-important and all-absorbing. What if we were to take a new tact? What if being the very opposite of what the blocks want, could help us? A lighter attitude towards life, and our creativity within that life can yield results.

I know. I was blocked up from my visual art for many years. When I started in the arts, they were fun. Drawing and painting outdoors, overlooking a lake, focused on the forest beyond—what could be better? Then I went to college. College is good. I’m not knocking it entirely but with that BFA comes a new type of seriousness. You might deem that serious attitude as heaviness. In the sixties when people would say, “Hey, that’s heavy,” we knew heavy was a very serious thing, just from how it was said.



I went on to get an MFA—again, not entirely knocking the degrees. They are useful. I learned a lot but, with the conference of that second degree came a bit more heaviness. Shortly after earning the degree, I became a professor. I imagine you know where I’m going with this. What began as a light activity, full of joy, delight and enchantment, got bogged down. Over the years it got heavier and heavier until it couldn’t breathe anymore and I had to stop.



Years later, I returned to my art, with a lighter attitude. I decided to do what I like—what gives me joy and perhaps brings joy to others. Now, I don’t have the same college degrees in writing, but I come to it at times with lightness and others with heaviness. You know where this is headed as well. When I’m heavy-thinking and heavy-handed with my writing, it collapses under the weight. I freeze up and productivity ceases.
Naturally, being the type of artist I am, when I am bogged down I reach out for beautiful things. One of those things I’ve gravitated towards as a writer is a quill writing pen.

With the quill pen in my writing hand, I imagine my thoughts flowing, perhaps even flying out of my mind. These thoughts are unencumbered. They flow freely, with the aid of the gorgeous and historic writing tool. I’m not saying it’s easy to use a quill pen, though part of their usefulness to me, as a freeing-up exercise is the concentration it requires to use the pen.


There is containment in their use: you, the pen, ink, paper and thoughts, then too, there are the symbolic references conjured up by the feather.

Comments

  1. Love this post! I love quill pens, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm much older, but I have never read the Unbearable Lightness of Being. I'll add it to my tbr list. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ann! I think you'd enjoy it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that happens to a lot of us during the course of our life. What began with joy gets bogged down with living real life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you were able to find something that brings you joy! Work is no longer work when you enjoy it!
    @AllysePanaro from
    The Frog Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allyse. I'm finding great joy at the moment!

      Delete
  6. Lovely post Stephanie reminding of the lightness of our being. It was also lovely to read of your journey as well as the acknowledgment of at times things feeling heavy and that they weigh us down and can block us ... but even writing about that experience or painting it can get it OUT - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan and I completely agree--working it out is the best medicine of all.

      Delete
  7. I've just been reading back on your posts and really enjoying your way of thinking outside of the box. The art works that you display are gorgeous too. Looking forward to reading more!

    Debs Carey
    www.bunnyandthebloke.com
    @debscaringcoach
    www.caringcoaching.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fab post Stephanie on feathers that gives joy to our senses:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I do hope the senses will be stimulated. Thanks Vishal Bheeroo!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I'm so glad it inspired you Denise. You're welcome!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Challenge: A Month of African Proverbs

I'm all in, once again.  This is my third year of participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. This will be an intense spurt of reading and writing for me, as I'm also editing one book and writing another. I will do my best to stay in, and keep up!

For the month of April (2017) I will be blogging and visiting other blogs. This is a fun and meaningful practice that I've taken on to increase conversations with other readers and bloggers. I am always happy to see newcomers and, whether you comment or not, you are welcome.





A Month of African Proverbs
My 2017 theme is drawn from my soon-to-be released book "Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss." I have a section of my book that contains African Proverbs. I will be spending time on each of those proverbs, exploring their meaning and inspiration regarding losing weight or otherwise transforming yourself.

Here is the definition of the word proverb: (from Latin: proverbium) is a simple and concrete saying…

Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss Workshop

Happy to announce that my 6th book has been published by a small publishing house in England called Green Magic Publishing! You can find it here.

It is a very unique book, that has been a long time coming - 14 years actually! When I began writing it my adult children were still living at home and my youngest, who is about to graduate from high school, was little more than a toddler. Time flies but book writing seems to take forever!

The release of, Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss feels like a birth. It has had growing pains, changes and the labor of bringing it into this world - a labor of love.





I'm offering a series of workshops at Life Force Arts Center in Chicago, to kick off the book and get you into its unique type of hands-on healing and transformation work. This first one is inspired by Welsh Goddess Cerrwiden. Following is a description and how you can sign up at Life Force Arts Center.






Cerrwiden’s Pig: Shifting and Personal Transformation
Goddess Spirituali…

Live it Like Lucy

So you made a mistake? Now what? Cover it up, fix it or apologize? How about…gasp, accessing the damage, learning what you can and then, moving forward?
I don’t know where you stand with your Judge but mine is ruthless. She looks down her nose at me constantly, worse of all, my Judge is within me, always ready to chirp in, whether I request it or not. I say, as I look forward to this New Year: Judge, you are dismissed! Get lost. Piss off.
I have made a mistake. Is it monumental? No. Will it hurt people? Yes. Most importantly, is it fixable? Yes!
No one likes making mistakes, but they happen. I love the “I Love Lucy Show” (the original, in black and white) because Lucille Ball’s outrageously humorous touch invites us to see mistakes in a funny way. We laugh with her not at her, as she falls into one unexpected dilemma after another. Instead of saying to ourselves: this is terrible; we ‘feel’ in our gut: this is funny!
What if our lives could be the same way? I know it would seem pecul…