Skip to main content

The Art of Journaling


Journaling can take many forms. I find it to be relaxing. It also feels safe. Some other art forms can seem formidable. There is the huge expanse of a freshly gessoed stark white stretched canvas or even a large sheet of 24" x 36" of paper. However, within the small book-like, intimacy of a journal,the confined spaces make artmaking more approachable. Shown above this text, is a cover of an altered book I did that incorporates sewing, collage, handmade paper, paint, papyrus and found objects such as screening. This piece is quite fragile. the fragility is part of it's visual statement.


This is the other side of the same altered book. I re-purposed and upcycled an old book cover, book pages, jeans, paper scraps and then added the sewing and collage pieces. The aging is from natural inks, such as walnut ink with some tea staining as well.


Then a few years ago, inspired by one of my students at the School of the Art Institute, I decided to fill an entire hardbound sketchbook with small scaled paintings and collage. To the right is an illustration of Persephone and there are other collage elements of people and things interesting to me. This is the inside of the back cover of the small art journal.


This is an earlier rendition of the same inside cover. This is a work-in-progress with about 55 pieces (drawings, paintings and collages) inside of it.


I took it with me to an Expressive Arts class called Art for the Soul and created this tiny painting with gouache, watercolor and charcoal. This has the map type of quality of my paintings I showed in the post "In a New Jersey State of Mind." It is roughly 3" x 4".



This little painting is on the opposite page from the previous piece. It is also about place. I take this journal with me on vacations and work on it there too.

Not only was this particular art journal inspired by a student I had years and years ago but it was also a part of a challenge that I did not complete in time. Still, it remains a safe place for me to go, play, generate ideas, explore, experiment and be myself. As time goes on, I will share more of the paintings and collages from inside my art journal. Meanwhile, I encourage you to try it. It is an enticing way to see what secrets and visions you hold inside, without using words--a refreshing activity for a writer.


J is for Journaling (A to Z April Blogger's Challenge)

Comments

  1. Wow. That's incredible! So creative. My journals have always just been filled with words. Not quite as pretty to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I am also a visual artist, in fact, that is the area in which I have been formally trained. In some ways it comes easier to be visual. You should try art journaling. It's very rewarding and relaxing.

      Delete
  2. Journaling really is an art. I do have a journal with photography and art in it. Any picture that I see in a magazine or what-not that speaks to my soul gets cut out and pasted into my journal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrys, I would love to see it sometime. Do you share it with others or is it more for private inspiration?

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful idea! I was just telling my daughter that lately I've been wishing I was a visual artist rather than a writer--words are so loaded, and lately mine have been taking me to dark places. I told her I wanted a creative outlet that was just color and form, that I could create without "thought." And here you show me just what could perhaps work for me, something small and intimate and lovely. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, you're welcome! Let me know how it goes once you get started with your art journal.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Challenge: A Month of African Proverbs

I'm all in, once again.  This is my third year of participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. This will be an intense spurt of reading and writing for me, as I'm also editing one book and writing another. I will do my best to stay in, and keep up!

For the month of April (2017) I will be blogging and visiting other blogs. This is a fun and meaningful practice that I've taken on to increase conversations with other readers and bloggers. I am always happy to see newcomers and, whether you comment or not, you are welcome.





A Month of African Proverbs
My 2017 theme is drawn from my soon-to-be released book "Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss." I have a section of my book that contains African Proverbs. I will be spending time on each of those proverbs, exploring their meaning and inspiration regarding losing weight or otherwise transforming yourself.

Here is the definition of the word proverb: (from Latin: proverbium) is a simple and concrete saying…

Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss Workshop

Happy to announce that my 6th book has been published by a small publishing house in England called Green Magic Publishing! You can find it here.

It is a very unique book, that has been a long time coming - 14 years actually! When I began writing it my adult children were still living at home and my youngest, who is about to graduate from high school, was little more than a toddler. Time flies but book writing seems to take forever!

The release of, Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss feels like a birth. It has had growing pains, changes and the labor of bringing it into this world - a labor of love.





I'm offering a series of workshops at Life Force Arts Center in Chicago, to kick off the book and get you into its unique type of hands-on healing and transformation work. This first one is inspired by Welsh Goddess Cerrwiden. Following is a description and how you can sign up at Life Force Arts Center.






Cerrwiden’s Pig: Shifting and Personal Transformation
Goddess Spirituali…

Live it Like Lucy

So you made a mistake? Now what? Cover it up, fix it or apologize? How about…gasp, accessing the damage, learning what you can and then, moving forward?
I don’t know where you stand with your Judge but mine is ruthless. She looks down her nose at me constantly, worse of all, my Judge is within me, always ready to chirp in, whether I request it or not. I say, as I look forward to this New Year: Judge, you are dismissed! Get lost. Piss off.
I have made a mistake. Is it monumental? No. Will it hurt people? Yes. Most importantly, is it fixable? Yes!
No one likes making mistakes, but they happen. I love the “I Love Lucy Show” (the original, in black and white) because Lucille Ball’s outrageously humorous touch invites us to see mistakes in a funny way. We laugh with her not at her, as she falls into one unexpected dilemma after another. Instead of saying to ourselves: this is terrible; we ‘feel’ in our gut: this is funny!
What if our lives could be the same way? I know it would seem pecul…