Skip to main content

Spirituality and Weight Loss

Ok, so, I consider this my before picture. Let’s get that straight. I will post another one when I hit the 30 pound lost mark. I promise you, it won't be long!

I am one of those stubborn people that sticks to their New Year’s Resolutions. Is anybody reading this doing the same? I decided to lose weight this year. Not a little bit, I consider it a whooping amount. I’m down just about to the 20 lb. mark after 6 weeks. It feels great but there is a lot more to go. I have been gaining and then losing the same amount of weight for years, since child-bearing really. 

4 years ago (and I can’t quite believe it’s been that long but that’s what Microsoft Word says so I have to believe it) I started a book that is a spiritual guide to weight loss. Considering my battle and my use of magic it seemed a fitting premise. Finally, I got the courage to submit it to a few places. It is being considered but so far nothing has happened with that. I will keep you posted.

I just finished eating that dieter’s classic, cottage cheese and a half grapefruit. Ugh! Can anything in this world be worse? Nothing at all spiritual about that, no matter how I look at it, though the pink grapefruit was quite good, cottage cheese remains abysmal, except for when it's hidden in a smoothie.

The journey of weight loss, especially losing a lot and having that weight loss stick for good, is no easy journey. It is fraught with setbacks, temptations and yes, fear. Any big change presents challenges, not just for you but for those around you.

Yesterday I watched an episode of “My 600 Pound Life.” I don’t know why exactly, but it inspires me. The people on that show have swelled themselves up to an enormous proportion. Still, they have the courage and steeliness to battle their weight and lose 100's of pounds over the period of a year. Most of us can only imagine what that must be like. The word struggle doesn’t even begin to describe their way of being.


I have been watching that show as a part of my research for the book. The stories presented there are truly touching and they stick with me for days. There is so much more than food intake that makes a person overweight. The psychological issues that surround the person play an important role. Spirituality can also enter into the picture. Through a deepening connection to Mother Earth, I find that my spiritual beliefs help the cottage cheese go down a lot more smoothly.

Comments

  1. I'm proud of you! Can't wait to see your progress pic. Though you are already such a beautiful woman inside AND out I know you have to do what will make your soul happier :D
    Hugs,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer, thanks so much for the encouragement! I am just itching to post my mid-way picture. It will probably be this time next month or maybe mid-April. Will keep you posted. Can't wait to share.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Goddess and Prince of Flowers

While teaching painting and drawing at the School of the Art Institute, I was always drawn to the  Codex Borgia . Sadly, seldom did I actually find ways of incorporating that gorgeous, ancient, illustrated manuscript into my lesson plans. I would just go through the book of images and savor them on my own. Now I understand why it was calling out to me. It is the tool of healers, diviners and scribes--it contains prophesies. It is going to take a while, still, but some day I will understand the lessons it seeks to teach me. Now in "Mama Nature's Spiritual Guide to Weight-loss" as I write, I am finding my book is being fleshed out by Aztec and Mayan deities. They just showed up and wanted in. I find myself questioning their appearance and loving it all at the same time. Pictured above is Aztec Goddess, Xochiquetzal, pronounced Sho-chi-ket-sal. Her name is in the language Nahuatl. The first part Xochitl (flower or to flower) and the second Quetzal (bird of splendid fe...

Dancing

D is for Dancing Zulu Dancer So, what can you do for free, that lifts your mood by elevating endorphin levels that also helps your fitness level? Dance! As a girl, I was blessed with a unique opportunity. My mother had danced in her youth and wanted to share that experience with me. Through her encouragement, I grew to love my dance lessons and ended up studying dance about 4 nights a week and then performing on the weekends. One of my favorite activities was dancing outside. I enjoyed practicing my turns outdoors (poor grass!). So, I’d put our large speakers outside the door and then turn and turn, and turn some more, using the trees across the lake as a spotting tool. In case you’re unfamiliar spotting is a place you focus your eyes so that you don’t become dizzy. Now, some of you reading this will think this sounds crazy. Others are living in a place wherein doing something like this is not possible. I’m not suggesting you twirl outside, but hey, if you can, g...

Xochitl--Flower

                                     (Winter Poinsettia by Stephanie Rose Bird, oil on wood) One of my Facebook friends does daily posts and shares called "I love Flowers." I love flowers too, in real life, in my garden, in paintings and as they are related to the gods and goddesses, in healing, as well as their use in folklore like Hoodoo. Not long ago I posted about Xochipelli (Sho-CHEE-pee-lee) prince of flowers and Xochiquetzal (Sho-CHEE-ket-zul) goddess of flowers in anticipation of April's blooming season.  The Goddess and Prince of Flowers post  is here. Today, I want to focus in on the root word of their names and it's symbolism. This word is Xochitl (Show-CHEE-tul) in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs. This word means flower.                                         ...