Thursday, February 20, 2014

Exploring the Siren

When my siren appears in my new novel, "Out of the Blue," it is not certain whether she is an angel, young woman, demon or spirit. I have had a long term fascination with water and everything within it--real, from the spiritual realm, folklore, mythology and tales stemming from the imagination. I also love thinking about the possibilities presented by angels. This particular siren that has called to me, is far from angelic. She is of the very old type, not a mermaid but more of a bird woman. What does she want, I wonder. She looks like La Sirene from the Vodou pantheon, being light skinned but not white. Today, I wait for her elusive spirit to return. I am conjuring her, so that I can carry on telling her dark tale in Chapter 2. If any of you out there in the blogosphere have any interesting tales about encounters with Sirens or La Sirene, I would love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Stephanie! When I was a little girl, I always dreamed of living in the water. It overwhelmed me, frightened me, gave me shelter. Now that I'm an adult, my water dreams are my "problem solving" dreams, where I always come to discover myself better.

    I can't wait to hear more about your story! See you tonight at Novel in a Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, thanks for stopping by and sharing your wonderful insight about water dreams. I see this story of sirens and blues to be about finding and expressing the authentic self through voice. See you in class!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.