Skip to main content

Conjuring Dragons



Dragons, be they beasts, monsters, muses or fantasies, have been with us since the earliest of times.  Dragon lore can be found all over the world. They come from the deserts, mountains and seas. I have been conjuring dragons as a writer and as an artist for quite a while as well.

Dragons are so mysterious however, they are hard to work with. Mine are shy and secretive on the one hand, yet powerful and awe-inspiring on the other. Being a water person, Ii am particularly enthralled with sea dragons.

In my story “The Girl and the Goat,” for that is all it is right now, (4 chapters), dragons wreak havoc on a tiny village by the sea. As I’ve said in a previous post, Serene, the sorcerer has conjured the dragons. Serene is the main character, Sophia’s aunt. Sophia doesn’t know her aunt Serene is a sorcerer or the cause for the dragons descending on the village that she is called to save.

I am working, sort of out loud here, on paper, on bringing those dragons back to life. Sophia needs to know them, their weaknesses and strengths so she can defeat them and bring peace back to her village. Serene is in an intense relationship with the dragons, but, why?

What fills my mind when it comes to dragons is not just their fiery potential but the sheer force and strength that they possess. Lifting a gigantic body like that into the air would seem impossible yet they can do it. I also pick up their scent which is really more of an odor. Sea Dragons in particular, have an incredibly musky, almost fish-like odor. They are kind and caring to their own kind, have a superior intelligence to humans and mobilize their strengths and talents to defeat those they perceive of as their enemies. My Sea Dragons also possess breath taking beauty. They are mesmerizing.


I have done some research on these creatures. I have plenty of dragon books and collected lore but believe the dragon lives inside all of us—in our dreams, our collective past and imagination. My job, at least for now, is re-invigorating my dragon so I can tell its story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Challenge: A Month of African Proverbs

I'm all in, once again.  This is my third year of participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. This will be an intense spurt of reading and writing for me, as I'm also editing one book and writing another. I will do my best to stay in, and keep up!

For the month of April (2017) I will be blogging and visiting other blogs. This is a fun and meaningful practice that I've taken on to increase conversations with other readers and bloggers. I am always happy to see newcomers and, whether you comment or not, you are welcome.





A Month of African Proverbs
My 2017 theme is drawn from my soon-to-be released book "Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss." I have a section of my book that contains African Proverbs. I will be spending time on each of those proverbs, exploring their meaning and inspiration regarding losing weight or otherwise transforming yourself.

Here is the definition of the word proverb: (from Latin: proverbium) is a simple and concrete saying…

Live it Like Lucy

So you made a mistake? Now what? Cover it up, fix it or apologize? How about…gasp, accessing the damage, learning what you can and then, moving forward?
I don’t know where you stand with your Judge but mine is ruthless. She looks down her nose at me constantly, worse of all, my Judge is within me, always ready to chirp in, whether I request it or not. I say, as I look forward to this New Year: Judge, you are dismissed! Get lost. Piss off.
I have made a mistake. Is it monumental? No. Will it hurt people? Yes. Most importantly, is it fixable? Yes!
No one likes making mistakes, but they happen. I love the “I Love Lucy Show” (the original, in black and white) because Lucille Ball’s outrageously humorous touch invites us to see mistakes in a funny way. We laugh with her not at her, as she falls into one unexpected dilemma after another. Instead of saying to ourselves: this is terrible; we ‘feel’ in our gut: this is funny!
What if our lives could be the same way? I know it would seem pecul…

2017 Presents a Fresh Start

Oh boy! It's been a while since I've been in this space. Apologies! There are so many things I have to do, want to do, need to do; sometimes blogging has to wait. Other times, like this morning, it calls to me. This morning it said: hey girlfriend, it's blogging time.

I get weird about New Year's. Some years I want to deny it; power through; act like somehow, it didn't happen. This year I am welcoming 2017 by doing my creative rituals, such as writing out intentions, otherwise known as resolutions, and creating a dream board (still in-process).

You've seen me write a lot about the Law of Attraction, and how the Universe is active in our every day lives, listening for our directives. I've seldom seen the Law of Attraction come to life so brilliantly as when I create and post a dream board somewhere in my home. Amazing! Have you created one? What has come from it?

In some ways I think 2016 was a terrible year. I was stuck, looking, waiting, wanting, but...not…