Skip to main content

Whispers of the Trees


A couple of years ago, I wrote a book devoted to the healing energy of trees called, “A Healing Grove.” Way before I wrote that book, I created this drawing in situ at the Oak Park Conservatory.  I remember it was to be a gathering of local artists to paint and draw, using the conservatory as an open studio.  It was a cold night outside and it was quite damp, dark and cool inside since we were there after regular hours.  I was a little disorientated at first because of all of the different tree energies and plant life pulsating in the ecosystem themed rooms.  I settled in on the tropical room because it seemed to speak the clearest language. I’ve always loved palms and banana trees as well as other fruit trees.  They give us so much in terms of sustenance, shelter, art and craft materials, spiritual resources for healing, ceremony and ritual. I enjoy using banana papers in my studio, as well as palm waste paper and fig bark pressed into paper.  I have used these in a variety of projects over time, as well as recycled papers within the packaging for my two product lines.  I think the tropical room spoke to me clearly because of my ancestry.  I know my ancestors came from hot, tree-filled environments in Western and Southern Africa. The main place I have spent time in the tropical regions and rain forests has been in Australia, during my time studying Aboriginal Art as a Fulbrighter.   When I look at the right side of this drawing I am reminded of the time I was invited to get painted up, in earth pigments, and dance the Bird Dance of my clan’s moiety, during a funerary march. Our feet movements were intensely bird-like, while our hips swayed like palms.  I have related trees and dance throughout my life because they do seem to dance in their upper regions if you observe carefully.  They also have a language referred to as Tree Whispers that a Tree Whisperer can understand.  I would not call myself a tree whisperer yet the trees have definitely spoken to me throughout my life and they ask me to dance for them.  As a child when I first heard the call I was facing off to a wood, on the other side of the lake and I gladly pirouetted.   Out bush, in Australia’s Arnhemland, when I stayed in the Galiwinku community of Elcho Island I was moved by the Ghost Gum Trees and watching the artists retrieve and treat its bark, making it ready to receive dreamtime stories.  Because of the unique ability of trees to speak and their physicality they have always been intimately tied to our storytelling, after all where would books be historically without them? With personal history in mind with my connection to trees I set out to do this drawing with pastels, vine charcoal and a large box of colored pencils.  I wanted to capture the movements, vibrational energy and healing potential held in the tropics and within many trees elsewhere as well. 

Comments

  1. Mmmm, beautiful. I'm often drawn to trees in my life and in my sketching and photography. Again and again, I'm brought back to their power and wisdom. Thanks for sharing your piece. (Aimee, visiting from CED2012)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee:

    Yes, I feel fortunate to live among trees; they greatly enrich my life. I will come check out your work as well! Enjoying CED2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love trees AND your fabulous drawing...
    Thanks for sharing your story. :-)
    Happy new year. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a pleasure to tap into that particular memory base!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How amazing! What this piece of art brings up in you is incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Follow Fest Interview and Sharing

When I first became a blogger it was difficult to know if I had readers and visitors coming to my blog. I’d post and be met by the sounds of crickets. Then, I branched out into the world of the blogosphere, a world I  didn't  know really existed. From my ventures, I met a lot of interesting bloggers.  I've  started following and commenting on numerous blogs, for you see, prior to my outings, I too was out among the crickets. Lurking about but seldom saying anything. A fellow blogger  I've  met through my journeys around the blogosphere is Melissa Maygrove . She had the brilliant idea to have a Follow Fest , where we share about who we are, what we do and most importantly, how you can connect with us further. It is my intention through joining Follow Fest, that I’ll connect with many more readers and people interested enough in what I do to want to learn more by following. So, here goes my entry for the fest. Name:   Stephanie Rose Bird Fiction or

Gran Bwa

Gran Bwa is a lwa that helps you connect to ancestral roots or the spiritual home of Vodou. A friend of mine, who is an expert on Haitian Vodou, who has spent a lot of time in Haiti with the artists there, told me I had painted Gran Bwa when I made this spontaneous work out of walnut ink and sumi-ink on handmade paper. I had considered this painting a self-portrait. She now holds this piece in her private collection: Quite a few people are afraid of Vodou but it is an awe-inspiring tradition of bringing together plant energy with divinity, spiritual and personal energy. My friend who is very involved with Vodou, especially the art that surrounds it, is from European ancestry. She is light in spirit and bubbly, with a close relationship to nature and her garden.  Vodou affirms the relationships between cycles of life, trees of knowledge and spirit.  The Vodou vision of lwa , understands them as the intelligence of energy present in humans, nature and thoughts.  Mysteries ca

Xochitl--Flower

                                     (Winter Poinsettia by Stephanie Rose Bird, oil on wood) One of my Facebook friends does daily posts and shares called "I love Flowers." I love flowers too, in real life, in my garden, in paintings and as they are related to the gods and goddesses, in healing, as well as their use in folklore like Hoodoo. Not long ago I posted about Xochipelli (Sho-CHEE-pee-lee) prince of flowers and Xochiquetzal (Sho-CHEE-ket-zul) goddess of flowers in anticipation of April's blooming season.  The Goddess and Prince of Flowers post  is here. Today, I want to focus in on the root word of their names and it's symbolism. This word is Xochitl (Show-CHEE-tul) in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs. This word means flower.                                            ( Frida Kahlo "Self Portrait Dedicated to Dr. Eloesser) In many different belief systems there are nature gods and goddesses connected with flowers. Flowers possess symbolism,