Skip to main content

Kuumba (Creativity)


Today, the sixth day of Kwanzaa, is dedicated to the principle of Kuumba (Creativity).  This is one of the most important of the seven principles to my daily practice and life generally.  Some of my earliest memories involve creativity.  I remember when I was about five, making mud cakes and plaintain sandwiches with grass trimmings with my little friend Joan behind our house in East Orange, NJ. I remember the first day of kindergarten being struck by a beautifully creative fall bulletin board of autumn leaves at school. Creativity has been a sustaining factor in my life since I can remember.  Recently, I joined a challenge to create something every day on a blog www.creativeeveryday.com.  I have already been doing this but it will be very nice to be involved with a community of creative people as I work.  My creativity has typically touched every aspect of my life including hairstyles, cooking (though I plan to leave the vegetable dessert pies alone), exercising (love to belly dance), doodling (particularly during lectures when I should be paying attention), writing, magickal practice and of course art making.  One of the reasons I choose Hoodoo as a spiritual path is because it invites and rewards creativity, at least the way I practice it.  Earth-based spirituality generally, opens the gates of creativity, as you engage the elements in numerous ways and honor the earth and cosmos.  When I wrote, “Sticks, Stones, Roots and Bones” and its companion, “Four Seasons of Mojo,” I felt such excitement because both embody creativity and as I wrote I was also on a journey of discovery in so many different ways.  I am still creating the dream pillows I give recipes for in those books, as well as various types of mojos, sachets and potpourris.  I think when some people look at my potpourri at craft fairs they just see a bag of botanicals but there is so much creativity involved in making a batch of potpourri and some magickal intent as well.  I was describing my process of making potpourri to my mother-in-law and it reminded me of its complexity.  I start by grinding up lavender, juniper berries, and the preservative scents of cinnamon, clove, allspice, and anise stars.  I add these to a corn cob mix that will hold their scent.  I call that the mother batch, once I add the essential oils.  The essential oil blend involves a great deal of complexity and skill in its mixture as well because I usually like to balance the top, middle and base notes, like a perfumer.  Then after the perfumery, comes another fun part of selecting a multitude of dried botanicals, herbs with specific magickal intent and scent qualities, berries of various colors, evocatively shaped pods and leaves.  After I bless and mix the mother batch of scent with the botanicals they sit for a few weeks, usually about a month in a sealed container.  Even the interest in perfumery goes back into my memory bank.  I remember outside of Salem, NJ, there was a little defunct factory and I dreamed since I was a child that that would be the home of my perfume business.  Now, I create the perfumed botanicals out of my home but I still dream of having a small industrial space, most likely in a rural location.  Creating magickal botanicals and soaps activates my gift for healing because you can imbue each step of the creation process with magick, if you are so inclined.  I am so excited that today is devoted to Kuumba. As I light the six candles of Kwanzaa today, I revere this gift bestowed by the Goddess, called Kuumba in Swahili or Creativity in English. Today's image is an ATC, with elements of collage, including a Xerox film transparency, drawing, stamping and embossing.

Comments

  1. Love the way your composition moves my eyes around to all the images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I had a lot of fun with this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Challenge: A Month of African Proverbs

I'm all in, once again.  This is my third year of participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. This will be an intense spurt of reading and writing for me, as I'm also editing one book and writing another. I will do my best to stay in, and keep up!

For the month of April (2017) I will be blogging and visiting other blogs. This is a fun and meaningful practice that I've taken on to increase conversations with other readers and bloggers. I am always happy to see newcomers and, whether you comment or not, you are welcome.





A Month of African Proverbs
My 2017 theme is drawn from my soon-to-be released book "Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss." I have a section of my book that contains African Proverbs. I will be spending time on each of those proverbs, exploring their meaning and inspiration regarding losing weight or otherwise transforming yourself.

Here is the definition of the word proverb: (from Latin: proverbium) is a simple and concrete saying…

Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss Workshop

Happy to announce that my 6th book has been published by a small publishing house in England called Green Magic Publishing! You can find it here.

It is a very unique book, that has been a long time coming - 14 years actually! When I began writing it my adult children were still living at home and my youngest, who is about to graduate from high school, was little more than a toddler. Time flies but book writing seems to take forever!

The release of, Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss feels like a birth. It has had growing pains, changes and the labor of bringing it into this world - a labor of love.





I'm offering a series of workshops at Life Force Arts Center in Chicago, to kick off the book and get you into its unique type of hands-on healing and transformation work. This first one is inspired by Welsh Goddess Cerrwiden. Following is a description and how you can sign up at Life Force Arts Center.






Cerrwiden’s Pig: Shifting and Personal Transformation
Goddess Spirituali…

Live it Like Lucy

So you made a mistake? Now what? Cover it up, fix it or apologize? How about…gasp, accessing the damage, learning what you can and then, moving forward?
I don’t know where you stand with your Judge but mine is ruthless. She looks down her nose at me constantly, worse of all, my Judge is within me, always ready to chirp in, whether I request it or not. I say, as I look forward to this New Year: Judge, you are dismissed! Get lost. Piss off.
I have made a mistake. Is it monumental? No. Will it hurt people? Yes. Most importantly, is it fixable? Yes!
No one likes making mistakes, but they happen. I love the “I Love Lucy Show” (the original, in black and white) because Lucille Ball’s outrageously humorous touch invites us to see mistakes in a funny way. We laugh with her not at her, as she falls into one unexpected dilemma after another. Instead of saying to ourselves: this is terrible; we ‘feel’ in our gut: this is funny!
What if our lives could be the same way? I know it would seem pecul…