Skip to main content

Creative Inspirations


After a recent interview on whohub.com, that asked me about the origins of my creative expression, I started to think more deeply about the question posed.  What drove me to want to be an artist?  The question is simple yet the answer is more complex than I can articulate.  To start, I grew up in a creative household within a truly inspirational natural environment.  My mother loved art and was quite creative as was my father.  The two had their own craft store called M & R Handcrafts.  They made and sold ceramic plaques and sculptures and other crafts including decoupage and repose. Their most popular lines dealt with astrology—the Aztec calendar and the zodiac.  I spent many hours with them, working in a log cabin, painting these plaques along with my brothers and sister.  There was a fireplace to keep the space warm and a kerosene stove and knotty pine paneling.  We had the pre-requisite stuffed deer head over the fireplace and a mounted trophy big mouth bass in this homey studio.  My father especially spent many hours in this space pouring plaster and trimming.  Outdoors there was a small lake and a wood, as this cabin, which was next to our house was in the wetlands of the Pine Barrens in southern New Jersey.  Across the lake, off a swampy part of the lake, there lived an elderly, African American landscape painter.  I spent many hours watching her paint and attending her openings in nearby Philadelphia. My uncle who was a musician, playing drums for a time with Sun Ra, came often from Manhattan, staying in a small house near the painter.  He would bring down his creative friends to party, under the moonlight, on the lake. My parents, the painter named Mrs. Kennedy and my Uncle Carl were my earliest influences. I can’t underestimate the power of the lake and surrounding woods.  The magical sounds, year round, emanating from the lake were very powerful influences, as was the ever changing tides and thriving wildlife, including deer, otters, eels, snakes, bull frogs, turtles, fish, tadpoles and ducks.  Following Mrs. Kennedy’s lead, I spent many years painting renditions of the lake, or at least shall I say, attempting to paint the lake and trees.  I also had an excellent, multi-talented art teacher in high school named Mrs. Bilderbach who taught many different media and techniques.  It was a very special gift to have these people, and that particularly vibrant natural environment, in my life as an early artist.  There were so many creative people around in those woods.  There was a poet named Mrs. DuBois who led a poetry reading group in Mantua that I joined, and of course I spent many hours involved with dancing.  Mrs. DuBois’ poetry group stands out in my mind.  In her home, she had very Victorian tastes (we had high tea every Sunday) yet she was African American and especially fond of the 20th century Black poets. In a splendid environment of artistic production in a home studio, an unrivaled natural environment in the Pine Barrens and wetland, inspired by musicians, poets and dancers, I embarked on life as a painter.  Now after many decades of studio practice, I look back on the foundations of my creativity and am considering reviving my early interests in silversmithing under the tutelage of my high school teacher and am planning to create some nature-inspired cloisonne enamel works.  Until I get to the facilities for such an endeavor, I am continuing to work on mixed media ATCS, which are continuously surprising.  Today's ATC is a reflection on creativity and childhood.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Follow Fest Interview and Sharing

When I first became a blogger it was difficult to know if I had readers and visitors coming to my blog. I’d post and be met by the sounds of crickets. Then, I branched out into the world of the blogosphere, a world I  didn't  know really existed. From my ventures, I met a lot of interesting bloggers.  I've  started following and commenting on numerous blogs, for you see, prior to my outings, I too was out among the crickets. Lurking about but seldom saying anything. A fellow blogger  I've  met through my journeys around the blogosphere is Melissa Maygrove . She had the brilliant idea to have a Follow Fest , where we share about who we are, what we do and most importantly, how you can connect with us further. It is my intention through joining Follow Fest, that I’ll connect with many more readers and people interested enough in what I do to want to learn more by following. So, here goes my entry for the fest. Name:   Stephanie Rose Bird Fiction or

Gran Bwa

Gran Bwa is a lwa that helps you connect to ancestral roots or the spiritual home of Vodou. A friend of mine, who is an expert on Haitian Vodou, who has spent a lot of time in Haiti with the artists there, told me I had painted Gran Bwa when I made this spontaneous work out of walnut ink and sumi-ink on handmade paper. I had considered this painting a self-portrait. She now holds this piece in her private collection: Quite a few people are afraid of Vodou but it is an awe-inspiring tradition of bringing together plant energy with divinity, spiritual and personal energy. My friend who is very involved with Vodou, especially the art that surrounds it, is from European ancestry. She is light in spirit and bubbly, with a close relationship to nature and her garden.  Vodou affirms the relationships between cycles of life, trees of knowledge and spirit.  The Vodou vision of lwa , understands them as the intelligence of energy present in humans, nature and thoughts.  Mysteries ca

Xochitl--Flower

                                     (Winter Poinsettia by Stephanie Rose Bird, oil on wood) One of my Facebook friends does daily posts and shares called "I love Flowers." I love flowers too, in real life, in my garden, in paintings and as they are related to the gods and goddesses, in healing, as well as their use in folklore like Hoodoo. Not long ago I posted about Xochipelli (Sho-CHEE-pee-lee) prince of flowers and Xochiquetzal (Sho-CHEE-ket-zul) goddess of flowers in anticipation of April's blooming season.  The Goddess and Prince of Flowers post  is here. Today, I want to focus in on the root word of their names and it's symbolism. This word is Xochitl (Show-CHEE-tul) in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs. This word means flower.                                            ( Frida Kahlo "Self Portrait Dedicated to Dr. Eloesser) In many different belief systems there are nature gods and goddesses connected with flowers. Flowers possess symbolism,