Skip to main content

Dinner



We don't pine away for home cooked breakfast or lunch. It's dinner that's the object of our desire. Ditto, when dating. Breakfast or lunch date? Hmm. Remember this Seinfeld sketch?

          


 Whether it's repaying someone's kindness, date night, dating or a blind date--dinner's the hot ticket.




When my family's scattered throughout the house, I'm guilty of sending a text like this, "Dinner!" That says it all. Dinner, plus exclamation point, translates, I've labored over this meal. Get your butt in here to the table. Time for dinner.

Whether indoors or out:




Of all the meals, dinner's the heavy weight, in so many ways. Sometimes it comes along with the setting sun. Inevitably, after work is done we eat dinner. I try to block out 5 pm until 7 pm. Keeping that time period free from interviews or appointments if possible...and then, what the heck; with my belly and soul filled, the rest of the evening is awash from those types of activities as well.

Time to relax, download about the day, up until that point, connect; and for some, to argue. All this takes place with the backdrop of dinner.

I hear dinnertime is on the down slide. Sports practices, piano lessons, tutoring, late night work. I say,  no.  With or without the unnecessary exclamation point, dinner is still the thing.



Notes on my Theme:
This post is written for the 2015 A to Z Challenge. During this challenge, participating bloggers post once a day, in alphabetical order. This is done 6 days per week. Sundays are off. My theme presents words that are exciting. These words serve as thematic motifs in my writing. My theme also revolves around exclamation points. The words I've chosen to explore can replace or stand alone from the dreaded exclamation point, which writers are urged to avoid.









Comments

  1. I 100% agree with you. There are only two of us but we sit down to dinner at the table every night. Sometimes we have dinner guests, like tonight, and that is the important part of our day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember that Seinfeld sketch. I love the picture of your family sitting at the dinner table and your texting techinque to telling everyone that dinner is ready. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious isn't it Chrys? I've seen it many times and it still makes me chuckle. Dinner is dinner though isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Since my kids were babies, we've eaten dinner at the table - apart from Chinese takeaway, which automatically is eaten on our laps (weird we've made that distinction!) The cry of "Table!" get them running - but the exclamation mark is still there :-)

    I love this theme, and I'll be back to hear more!

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annalisa. I enjoy your posts as well!

      Delete
  4. So nice to see a familiar name from last year's A to Z! I love that you text about dinner. I might need to try that.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoying your posts this year too. Thanks for stopping by Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. Great post Stephanie thanks! It's so special when we're together as a family at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dinner looks amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Glad you like the photos.

      Delete
  7. dinner time is special hour in our family too... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pratikshya Mishra. Nice that we share that in common.

      Delete
  8. I have to work my dinners around my daughter's dance schedule - she's there 5-9pm 3 days a week (and Sundays) so I'll make those nights we're all home together more special.
    Great theme (I like exclamation points!) and thanks for stopping by to see me!

    Lisa
    ...Slow & Steady
    Tales from the Love Shaque

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember those scheduling challenges well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Challenge: A Month of African Proverbs

I'm all in, once again.  This is my third year of participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. This will be an intense spurt of reading and writing for me, as I'm also editing one book and writing another. I will do my best to stay in, and keep up!

For the month of April (2017) I will be blogging and visiting other blogs. This is a fun and meaningful practice that I've taken on to increase conversations with other readers and bloggers. I am always happy to see newcomers and, whether you comment or not, you are welcome.





A Month of African Proverbs
My 2017 theme is drawn from my soon-to-be released book "Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss." I have a section of my book that contains African Proverbs. I will be spending time on each of those proverbs, exploring their meaning and inspiration regarding losing weight or otherwise transforming yourself.

Here is the definition of the word proverb: (from Latin: proverbium) is a simple and concrete saying…

Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss Workshop

Happy to announce that my 6th book has been published by a small publishing house in England called Green Magic Publishing! You can find it here.

It is a very unique book, that has been a long time coming - 14 years actually! When I began writing it my adult children were still living at home and my youngest, who is about to graduate from high school, was little more than a toddler. Time flies but book writing seems to take forever!

The release of, Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss feels like a birth. It has had growing pains, changes and the labor of bringing it into this world - a labor of love.





I'm offering a series of workshops at Life Force Arts Center in Chicago, to kick off the book and get you into its unique type of hands-on healing and transformation work. This first one is inspired by Welsh Goddess Cerrwiden. Following is a description and how you can sign up at Life Force Arts Center.






Cerrwiden’s Pig: Shifting and Personal Transformation
Goddess Spirituali…

Live it Like Lucy

So you made a mistake? Now what? Cover it up, fix it or apologize? How about…gasp, accessing the damage, learning what you can and then, moving forward?
I don’t know where you stand with your Judge but mine is ruthless. She looks down her nose at me constantly, worse of all, my Judge is within me, always ready to chirp in, whether I request it or not. I say, as I look forward to this New Year: Judge, you are dismissed! Get lost. Piss off.
I have made a mistake. Is it monumental? No. Will it hurt people? Yes. Most importantly, is it fixable? Yes!
No one likes making mistakes, but they happen. I love the “I Love Lucy Show” (the original, in black and white) because Lucille Ball’s outrageously humorous touch invites us to see mistakes in a funny way. We laugh with her not at her, as she falls into one unexpected dilemma after another. Instead of saying to ourselves: this is terrible; we ‘feel’ in our gut: this is funny!
What if our lives could be the same way? I know it would seem pecul…