Skip to main content

Integrity, Shamanism and Closure

(Image of Shaman from National Geographic)

Recently, one of my friends sent this quote with a book reading announcement for the author Chinua Achebe: "One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised." It resonated with me so much that I had to grab it and use it in my email signature.  Throughout my life integrity has been a unifying theme.  It is a motivator, a consideration, guiding force and inspiration. Integrity is about being true to your self—being authentic.  It is why I chose to become a writer and an artist.  It has also kept me from doing some things and encouraged me to quit doing some other things I have been fully immersed in.

About a month ago someone said something to me that was so rude, fundamentally destructive, hurtful and unexpected that it pierced me.  Shaman know we are (at least most of us) punctured by a variety of wholes inflicted on the journey of the life passage.  This one whole got me to thinking.  Your soul is something you come into this world with and it is the only thing with which you will leave.  Would I allow someone to say something so negative and destructive that it could pierce and injure my personal sense of identity, even if allowing them to say those sorts of things enabled me to make money? The answer is a resounding no.  Integrity and sense of self are wrapped around my soul. When one of the elements in that trilogy takes a hit, they all suffer. Internal suffering leads to illness whether it shows itself as being spiritual, psychological or physical. No person, whatever their position, should have the power to make us sick in any way.

I have closed what was seemingly a promising and exciting chapter in my life.  It is always sad when closure comes but typically it is for the best. Changes are frightening but they can also be exciting.  I look forward to seeing what the universe has in store next.  As a writer, I know that there are many new, promising and exciting chapters just waiting to be written. Now I have the positive space and nurturing environment needed to write them.

Comments

  1. I can relate to this post in so many ways... thanks so much, I needed to read it this morning, all my life I´ve been dealing with this issue, with my need to keep my integrity and -as you- I have the feeling that I am opening a gateway to a new -much more promising- chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this post in so many ways... thanks so much, I needed to read it this morning, all my life I´ve been dealing with this issue, with my need to keep my integrity and -as you- I have the feeling that I am opening a gateway to a new -much more promising- chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zena, I'm so glad you found this post then this morning. Glad also you can relate. The artistic process can seem very solitary at times. Thank goodness for blogs! Closure is always difficult but it is also true that we have to close out on the old sometimes to make way for what is new!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you and many happy wishes for you to come ~ Inspiring post ~ ^_^ ~ Let Go, Let Be and Attitude of Gratitude have become my mantras for this year ~ practicing everyday and you reminded me again ~ thanks ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Creative Harbor: You're so welcome. I love your mantras. Will try to incorporate them into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised." Love the quote, but it reminds of Congress and what they all believe Integrity is apparently. LOL Best wishes on your new book. Post to WC the pitch for it when you have it done. I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delores, hmmmm, I hadn't thought of Congress but I can sort of see what you mean. I'll be happy to post to Writer's Circle when the book is completed. I'm getting there. Planning on working on it all day today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Challenge: A Month of African Proverbs

I'm all in, once again.  This is my third year of participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. This will be an intense spurt of reading and writing for me, as I'm also editing one book and writing another. I will do my best to stay in, and keep up!

For the month of April (2017) I will be blogging and visiting other blogs. This is a fun and meaningful practice that I've taken on to increase conversations with other readers and bloggers. I am always happy to see newcomers and, whether you comment or not, you are welcome.





A Month of African Proverbs
My 2017 theme is drawn from my soon-to-be released book "Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss." I have a section of my book that contains African Proverbs. I will be spending time on each of those proverbs, exploring their meaning and inspiration regarding losing weight or otherwise transforming yourself.

Here is the definition of the word proverb: (from Latin: proverbium) is a simple and concrete saying…

Live it Like Lucy

So you made a mistake? Now what? Cover it up, fix it or apologize? How about…gasp, accessing the damage, learning what you can and then, moving forward?
I don’t know where you stand with your Judge but mine is ruthless. She looks down her nose at me constantly, worse of all, my Judge is within me, always ready to chirp in, whether I request it or not. I say, as I look forward to this New Year: Judge, you are dismissed! Get lost. Piss off.
I have made a mistake. Is it monumental? No. Will it hurt people? Yes. Most importantly, is it fixable? Yes!
No one likes making mistakes, but they happen. I love the “I Love Lucy Show” (the original, in black and white) because Lucille Ball’s outrageously humorous touch invites us to see mistakes in a funny way. We laugh with her not at her, as she falls into one unexpected dilemma after another. Instead of saying to ourselves: this is terrible; we ‘feel’ in our gut: this is funny!
What if our lives could be the same way? I know it would seem pecul…

2017 Presents a Fresh Start

Oh boy! It's been a while since I've been in this space. Apologies! There are so many things I have to do, want to do, need to do; sometimes blogging has to wait. Other times, like this morning, it calls to me. This morning it said: hey girlfriend, it's blogging time.

I get weird about New Year's. Some years I want to deny it; power through; act like somehow, it didn't happen. This year I am welcoming 2017 by doing my creative rituals, such as writing out intentions, otherwise known as resolutions, and creating a dream board (still in-process).

You've seen me write a lot about the Law of Attraction, and how the Universe is active in our every day lives, listening for our directives. I've seldom seen the Law of Attraction come to life so brilliantly as when I create and post a dream board somewhere in my home. Amazing! Have you created one? What has come from it?

In some ways I think 2016 was a terrible year. I was stuck, looking, waiting, wanting, but...not…