Skip to main content

Sand Dunes of Michigan


I have been working with memories of land formations and geographic features this week.  One of the pieces I worked on is called, “Sand Dune” and it is an abstracted version of a sand dune I climbed in Michigan.  I have been working with oil pastel on top of a foundation of vine charcoal for a few weeks now.  Yesterday I bought some watercolor pencils to add into the mix but I haven’t attempted to mix the oil-based and water-based materials yet. To my surprise and delight the oil pastel mixed media works seem to be coming together to form a body of work.  For the first time in a long time my work has a flow to it that taps on intuition and expression in a way that I enjoy very much. This is something I can continue with for a while and I can't wait to see the series all together in a gallery space. I intend to continue to work with mixed media, trying the watercolor pencil as a contrasting element with the oil pastels and vine charcoal. Often, I teach my classes projects that incorporate crayon with water resist so I think the teaching is an influence. With spring break from teaching coming up soon, it seems as though I need to visit some of these land formations and geographic features in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan that are fueling my work.  Stay tuned! This is “Sand Dune,” and it is 9” x 12” done using oil pastel and mixed media.

Comments

  1. Stephanie, this is beautiful... once again. :-)
    We are perhaps on the same wavelength - i posted something today about sand, and i almost called it "sand dunes"...
    I really love this abstract. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauline:
    That's really cool! I'll hop over to your blog to check out your piece about sand.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Live it Like Lucy

So you made a mistake? Now what? Cover it up, fix it or apologize? How about…gasp, accessing the damage, learning what you can and then, moving forward?
I don’t know where you stand with your Judge but mine is ruthless. She looks down her nose at me constantly, worse of all, my Judge is within me, always ready to chirp in, whether I request it or not. I say, as I look forward to this New Year: Judge, you are dismissed! Get lost. Piss off.
I have made a mistake. Is it monumental? No. Will it hurt people? Yes. Most importantly, is it fixable? Yes!
No one likes making mistakes, but they happen. I love the “I Love Lucy Show” (the original, in black and white) because Lucille Ball’s outrageously humorous touch invites us to see mistakes in a funny way. We laugh with her not at her, as she falls into one unexpected dilemma after another. Instead of saying to ourselves: this is terrible; we ‘feel’ in our gut: this is funny!
What if our lives could be the same way? I know it would seem pecul…

2017 Presents a Fresh Start

Oh boy! It's been a while since I've been in this space. Apologies! There are so many things I have to do, want to do, need to do; sometimes blogging has to wait. Other times, like this morning, it calls to me. This morning it said: hey girlfriend, it's blogging time.

I get weird about New Year's. Some years I want to deny it; power through; act like somehow, it didn't happen. This year I am welcoming 2017 by doing my creative rituals, such as writing out intentions, otherwise known as resolutions, and creating a dream board (still in-process).

You've seen me write a lot about the Law of Attraction, and how the Universe is active in our every day lives, listening for our directives. I've seldom seen the Law of Attraction come to life so brilliantly as when I create and post a dream board somewhere in my home. Amazing! Have you created one? What has come from it?

In some ways I think 2016 was a terrible year. I was stuck, looking, waiting, wanting, but...not…

U is for Unexpected

un·ex·pect·edˌənəkˈspektəd/adjectivenot expected or regarded as likely to happen. "his death was totally unexpected"
synonyms:unforeseenunanticipatedunpredictedunlooked-forsuddenabrupt,surprisingunannounced "an unexpected change in plans"

There is a way we view our world. We know the players, the backdrop, the goings-on. But sometimes something so unexpected happens that it shakes up that orderly arrangement. This rearrangement, brought on by unexpected news makes you question all of the aforementioned parts of your seemingly orderly life.


I received some unexpected news yesterday. A friend of the family has been suffering with breast cancer, quite quietly, I might add. I had no idea, which also causes a variety of responses ranging from guilt to shame, and then inevitably the question rises, What to do?
The friend of the family has just always been there, at least for the past 12 years or so. She is an indirect friend, meaning our children our good friends…