Skip to main content

Sharing Good News


I've been away from this blog for a little while because I've been busy working on "Out of the Blue" my second novel. I made a commitment to finish this book in a year by joining a workshop called Novel in a Year. In it, we are expected to write between 30 and 45 pages a month. Needless to say, with all the blogging I did for the A to Z challenge during April, I fell short of that goal.

I did have a breakthrough though around Mother's Day when I unplugged and took a retreat in Michigan, which I blogged about here.

So what news do I have, you may be wondering? Well, after a year of trying, finally I have found a publisher for my debut novel, "No Barren Life." I never thought I'd see this day, to tell you the truth. I am really happy about it.

I have heard some mixed reviews about this publisher. It is John Hunt Publishing, out of England. At first I was opposed to publishing with them. They are called a vanity/subsidy publisher on some websites. I decided to be open-minded and to read everything I could about them and their imprints. I eventually found that they do offer traditional contracts for some of their authors. I am so thrilled that I am one of those authors.

It goes to show that perseverance pays off. There were many times I felt like giving up entirely on this book and just investing my energy in the second book. At first I tried really hard to find an agent or publisher then after a while I just about gave up I only tried every now and then.

This book deal also demonstrates that you have to do your research and to read everything and I do mean everything you can about a publisher before you make a decision.

My imprint is for "No Barren Life" is one for YA novels and it is called Lodestone Books. This book should come out at the end of 2014 or beginning of 2015. I will keep you posted as things develop.

Comments

  1. Congratulations Stephanie! I look forward to reading your novel. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vinodini! I can hardly contain myself.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Vinodini! Looking forward to it! I'm so glad that you were able to gather information but reserve judgement about the publisher before digging deeper. SO important... in this "say it when you think it" world we have to dig deep to get beyond the complaints of others and into the real truth of a thing. So, congratulations on many points here! On perservering! On patience! AND on a PUBLISHER!!! Hey... three Ps! Hmmmm.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the three P's Donna! You are right, sometimes decisions require a great deal of information not just skimming off the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! And good luck with everything. This is an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it really is Karen. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FANTASTIC Stephanie!!! Good news indeed! Well done on all the prelim work before deciding ... it just shows and leaves me inspired re my WIP!
    Happy Day! Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Susan! Are you posting about your WIP? I'm curious about what you're writing about.

      Delete
  7. FANTASTIC news Stephanie! Thanks for sharing this news! Keep on smiling! It's inspiring to me to know that hard prep work pays off ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you! :D I wish you the best of luck and much success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hearty congrats, Stephanie Bird! Your perseverance is inspiring. :o) I LOVE JHP. They rock. I'm so, so happy I'm with them now. They're publishing my next two Tarot books! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! I had no idea so many people that I know and respect were with JHP (like you) but it makes sense. John Hunt is very adventurous in the mind/body/spirit, alternative spirituality publishing scene.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day by leaving a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Challenge: A Month of African Proverbs

I'm all in, once again.  This is my third year of participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. This will be an intense spurt of reading and writing for me, as I'm also editing one book and writing another. I will do my best to stay in, and keep up!

For the month of April (2017) I will be blogging and visiting other blogs. This is a fun and meaningful practice that I've taken on to increase conversations with other readers and bloggers. I am always happy to see newcomers and, whether you comment or not, you are welcome.





A Month of African Proverbs
My 2017 theme is drawn from my soon-to-be released book "Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss." I have a section of my book that contains African Proverbs. I will be spending time on each of those proverbs, exploring their meaning and inspiration regarding losing weight or otherwise transforming yourself.

Here is the definition of the word proverb: (from Latin: proverbium) is a simple and concrete saying…

Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss Workshop

Happy to announce that my 6th book has been published by a small publishing house in England called Green Magic Publishing! You can find it here.

It is a very unique book, that has been a long time coming - 14 years actually! When I began writing it my adult children were still living at home and my youngest, who is about to graduate from high school, was little more than a toddler. Time flies but book writing seems to take forever!

The release of, Earth Mama's Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss feels like a birth. It has had growing pains, changes and the labor of bringing it into this world - a labor of love.





I'm offering a series of workshops at Life Force Arts Center in Chicago, to kick off the book and get you into its unique type of hands-on healing and transformation work. This first one is inspired by Welsh Goddess Cerrwiden. Following is a description and how you can sign up at Life Force Arts Center.






Cerrwiden’s Pig: Shifting and Personal Transformation
Goddess Spirituali…

Live it Like Lucy

So you made a mistake? Now what? Cover it up, fix it or apologize? How about…gasp, accessing the damage, learning what you can and then, moving forward?
I don’t know where you stand with your Judge but mine is ruthless. She looks down her nose at me constantly, worse of all, my Judge is within me, always ready to chirp in, whether I request it or not. I say, as I look forward to this New Year: Judge, you are dismissed! Get lost. Piss off.
I have made a mistake. Is it monumental? No. Will it hurt people? Yes. Most importantly, is it fixable? Yes!
No one likes making mistakes, but they happen. I love the “I Love Lucy Show” (the original, in black and white) because Lucille Ball’s outrageously humorous touch invites us to see mistakes in a funny way. We laugh with her not at her, as she falls into one unexpected dilemma after another. Instead of saying to ourselves: this is terrible; we ‘feel’ in our gut: this is funny!
What if our lives could be the same way? I know it would seem pecul…